This award was introduced in 2023 to recognise an outstanding conference paper by a researcher who identifies as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person, presented at the Annual AARE Conference.
Funding round: single round per annum
Applications due: 11:59pm on 31 August, 2023
Status of round: Closed
Benefits to Awardee: Certificate and up to $1,000 to assist with conference attendance expenses
The winner of the Award may be invited by the editor of The Australian Educational Researcher to submit the paper for consideration for publication in the journal (subject to double blind peer review).
Eligible persons may apply for the Award themselves, or may be nominated by another person (e.g., a colleague or supervisor or referee)
To be eligible for consideration, applicants must demonstrate that they meet all the following criteria:
- be a member of AARE
- identify as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person
- meet the closing date for abstract submission
- submit a first-authored conference paper for review by the conference awards committee via the online submission process (see below) by the advertised due date
- be able to attend the full conference
- have an abstract accepted for presentation at the conference through the abstract submission process via the AARE conference website
- deliver the presentation at the conference as scheduled
It is possible to submit a jointly authored paper for an award. Award applicants must be the first named author on the paper. AARE places the responsibility for full disclosure to co-authors with the first author of a paper submitted for consideration in these award categories.
As the intent of the award is to honour and facilitate high quality scholarship, applications will be judged on the basis of the following academic merit criteria:As the intent of the award is to honour and facilitate high quality scholarship, applications will be judged on the basis of the following academic merit criteria:
- Contemporary significance and/or scholarly relevance
- Conceptual, methodological and theoretical soundness
- Disciplined, focused and persuasive argument
- Coherent organisation and clarity of written expression
- Comprehensive reference to appropriate literature
Only one paper per researcher or research team should be submitted for the Award in any year. Papers previously submitted may not be re-submitted. The same paper cannot be submitted for more than one award in any year.
Funds will be made available following the conference paper presentation.
How to apply
Applications should be submitted via the Conference Awards Application Form
Applications will be assessed against the merit criteria by the Awards Panel, which is convened each year by the Awards Convenor.
The panel’s decision will be final and no further correspondence will be entered into.