For Aboriginal &/or Torres Strait Islander HDR & ECR Researchers
Overview and purpose
AARE is pleased to offer bursaries to support conference attendance by Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander HDR Students and ECR Researchers in 2023, open to both members and non-members of AARE.
The AARE Conference Bursary program is part of initiatives aimed to address equity issues in the education sector.
The 2023 AARE Conference is being held at Melbourne University 26-30 November. Please see our conference website for more information.
In 2023, AARE is offering the following bursaries to Aboriginal &/or Torres Strait Islander HDR & ECR Researchers:
- 4 x $1500 [for those attending from interstate to contribute to travel/accommodation and conference and pre-conference registration]
- 4 x $1000 [for those attending from Melbourne/Victoria [to contribute to conference and pre-conference registration and transfers/accommodation if required]
Note: funds will be provided by reimbursement with provision of receipts.
Successful applicants will have the opportunity to:
- Attend the Pre-Conference Workshop on Sunday 26th November
- Attend the Welcome Reception of the Conference on Sunday 26th November, at 5.30 – 7.00 pm
- Attend for the full duration of the Conference, attending Keynote and paper presentations that are of interest to your work from Monday 27th to Thursday 30th
- Attend the “First Timers’ Lunch” on Monday 27th November at 12.30 pm.
Open to any applicant who:
- Is a Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person;
- Is a higher degree research student or early career researcher (in first 5 years since graduation of doctoral degree) in part-time or casual employment or currently unemployed;
- Has not received other AARE awards or bursaries to attend the 2023 AARE Conference;
- Has had an abstract accepted to present at the 2023 AARE Conference;
- Is not receiving funding to attend the conference from any other sources.
Application and selection process
Only people who meet all eligibility criteria should apply. Please review the criteria above and be sure that you are eligible before applying.
Applications should be submitted via the below online form by 12 noon Wednesday 11th October, 2023 (Closed)
>> Bursary Application Form
- That the applicant meets the eligibility criteria.
- The aim of offering support to student researchers from as many institutions/geographical regions as possible.
Applicants can expect notification about the outcome of their application by 5pm Wednesday 18th October, 2023.
Successful and unsuccessful applicants will be notified of the results. It is not possible to provide feedback on applications, and no correspondence about the list of awardees will be possible.
If you have any questions related to the Conference Bursaries, please contact the Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Research SIG leadership team: