As in previous years, the American Educational Research Association (AERA) has invited AARE to submit a representative symposium for inclusion in their annual conference – which next year will be held in person from April 11-14 in Philadelphia, PA.
As you will likely know, acceptance into the AERA program is very competitive and we are delighted that AARE has the opportunity to profile some of our leading research through this process. It is also part of strengthening our links with major international educational research associations. The selected members will importantly have the honour of representing AARE in this international forum.
We are inviting AARE members who are interested in this opportunity to represent AARE, to submit an Expression of Interest which includes a symposium proposal (see details of AERA's specifications below) to represent AARE at the 2024 AERA conference.
We welcome submissions that include researchers at different career stages, and proposals that draw on international networks where approriate.
Please note that as the opportunity is to represent AARE in this international forum:
- The organiser and Chair must be an AARE member.
- The lead author of all papers included must be an AARE member. We understand that some papers may have international or non-member colleagues involved as co-authors.
- The Discussant may be an AARE member or non-member, for example an international colleague who is not an AARE member.
At least one author of all papers included, who is an AARE member, must attend the AERA conference in person to present. If this is not possible, and unless there are extenuating circumstances, AARE reserves the right to reverse the decision and remove support. Please ensure that all presenters understand they will be expected to attend the conference if the symposium is selected.
To support this activity, AARE provides funding of up to $5000 per symposium to contribute to the travel costs of presenters. Reimbursements will be available with receipts. Members involved may decide how this support is distributed amongst the team. Only AARE members may access this support.
Submit your expression of interest
If you are interested, please submit your EOI with symposium proposal attached to the AARE office via the below submission form by December 6th 2023 at the latest.
>> Submit your expression of interest
Symposium Proposal requirements
Symposium Proposal for submission must follow the following format:
- Symposium title
- Symposium Point of Contact
- Symposium Chair if different from Point of Contact
- Email addresses and institutions for presenting and non-presenting authors and any non-author participants such as discussants, if applicable
- Abstract of no more than 120 words. Abstracts will be made publicly available online or in print.
- Session Summary of no more than 500 words. The Session summary should address the following:
- Objectives of the session
- Overview of the presentation
- Scholarly or scientific significance
- Structure of the session
- A summary for each individual paper/presentation
Please note that AERA requires - A summary of no more than 500 words, for each individual paper but for the purposes of this EOI if you would prefer to provide title and brief abstract of 150 words for each paper this will be accepted at the EOI stage and can be adjusted if the EOI is awarded the Representative Symposium slot.
Each paper/presentation summary should include:
- Paper title
- Authors in order of authorship, indicating presenting author(s)
- Objectives or purposes
- Perspective(s) or theoretical framework
- Methods, techniques, or modes of inquiry
- Data sources, evidence, objects, materials or the equivalent for theoretical or methodological papers/presentations
- Results and/or substantiated conclusions or warrants for arguments/point of view
- Scientific or scholarly significance of the study or work
AARE Selection Process
A selection committee will review all proposals against the following criteria:
- Innovation and significance of proposal;
- Methodological and conceptual rigour;
- Clarity of focus;
- Diversity of panel representation, including career stage mix;
- Panels able to attend in person
If your EOI is successful, you will be notified by December 11th; with the final Symposium Proposal due by December 15th, 2023. The final proposal will be submitted by the AARE office to AERA. The Representative Symposium will be highlighted in the AERA Conference Program.
If you have any questions about this matter, please contact Julie McLeod firstname.lastname@example.org.
Julie McLeod, PhD, FASSA
Professor, Curriculum, Equity and Social Change
Melbourne Graduate School of Education,
The University of Melbourne